Hall of Fame Class of 1991
Information submitted in a nomination letter to the U. S. National Ski Hall of Fame by Gerald F. Groswold, Sponsor.
Receiving his first pair of skis on his 14th birthday, Robert Johnstone has been skiing ever since. As a skisport builder, he has been an inspirational leader.
Robert C. Johnstone was born in Denver, Colorado in 1915. Attending the Denver Public Schools, he was the president of the Rebel Rangers, a winter sports and outing club. He then attended the University of Denver and was a member of the Pioneer Ski Club where he was instrumental in forming D.U. Week and an intercollegiate ski program. From 1940 to 1946, he served in the U.S. Navy. Robert received a Presidential Citation for duties performed during World War II.
Upon discharge, he returned to Denver and soon became active in skiing in the following capacities:
1. Elected National Ski Patrolman, 1946
2. President of Zipfelberger Ski Club, 1948-49
3. Chairman SRMSA (Rocky Mountain Division USSA Junior Skiing), 1947-1950
4. Chairman National Junior Ski Championships, 1952
5. Chairman National Intercollegiate 4-way Ski Championships, 1953 and 1959
6. Elected President SRMSA (Rocky Mountain Division, USSA), 1951-1953
7. Elected to Board of National Ski Association, 1953-1954
The years following his divisional responsibilities, Robert moved on to national responsibilities, serving skiing in the following capacities:
• Chairman National Junior Skiing Committee, 1953-1955
• President’s Council Youth Physical Fitness, 1955-1958
• Appointed National Jumping Judge, 1956
• Elected President of National Ski Association, 1956-1957
• Member Organizing Committee Squaw Valley Olympics. 1956-1958
• Member of Ski Games Committee, 1960
He has held various responsibilities in the Winter Park Ski Area:
• Member of Executive Board from its inception
• Chairman of Construction and Planning
• Elected Vice-Chairman, 1975
• Member of Board National Sports Center for disabled of Winter Park Handi-Cap Program, 1975
• Member of Organizing Committee World Disabled Championships, 1990
Robert was a member of the Organizing Committee of the Colorado Ski Museum/Ski Hall of Fame in 1980 and was elected president in 1982.
Robert C. Johnstone was elected to the U.S. National Ski Hall of Fame in 1991.
To make changes, the file below must be edited. Email Carl with any questions ([email protected]).
If you notice any errors or inconsistencies in Robert Johnstone's bio, click here to let us know.
Please fill out the form to report any errors present on this page. We will correct them as soon as we can. Thanks for taking the time to let us know of any mistakes!