Hall of Fame Class of 2014
Two-time world champion skier Chris Davenport is widely regarded as one of the premier big mountain skiers in the world today. Among his many ski mountaineering achievements, in 2007 he became the first person to ski all fifty-four of Colorado’s 14,000-foot peaks in less than one year. He has numerous first descents on peaks around the globe under his belt, and recently guided and skied Mt. Everest.
After racing for New Hampshire’s Holderness School and the University of Colorado, Davenport got involved in the nascent big mountain competition scene where he rapidly established his name by winning the 1996 World Extreme Skiing Championships in Alaska. In 2000, he reached the podium in every big mountain event he entered. He won his second world championship in 2001 at the Red Bull Snow Thrill of Alaska. Davenport’s consistent success, paired with his skill as a spokesperson, and his involvement in film and print media, helped usher in the modern era of big mountain free-ride skiing.
Davenport has been featured in more than 30 ski films by Warren Miller and Matchstick Productions.
He is also a television commentator for ESPN, ABC sports and Outside Television, along with announcing for Olympic and World Cup ski events. He tours as a professional speaker who often lectures on risk management as it relates to business and mountain sports. He is the author of two coffee table books that celebrate North America’s mountains, “Ski the 14ers” and “Fifty Classic Ski Descents of North America.” He has also lobbied in Washington D.C. on behalf of the ski industry.
- 1996 – World Extreme Skiing Champion; New Zealand Heli Challenge Champion
- 1998 – ESPN X-Games bronze medal; 24-Hours of Aspen Champion
- 2000 – Red Bull Snowthrill of Alaska, IFSA World Freestyle Champion
- 2001 – Red Bull UltraCross Champion
- 2002 – Red Bull Snowthrill of Alaska World Champion’s Choice Award
- 2002, 2004, 2006 – Powder Magazine Reader’s Poll Award
- 2006 – Became the first person to ski all fifty-four of Colorado’s 14ers in less than a year
- 2007 – Everest Award Winner-Expedition of the Year; Red Bull Jungfrau Saffette Champion
- 2011 – Skied Lhotse face of Mt. Everest
To make changes, the file below must be edited. Email Carl with any questions ([email protected]).
Hall of Fame Tribute Video
If you notice any errors or inconsistencies in Chris Davenport's bio, click here to let us know.
Please fill out the form to report any errors present on this page. We will correct them as soon as we can. Thanks for taking the time to let us know of any mistakes!